Thursday 29 January 2009

Glastonbury Fayre - Revelations




Limited edition released to recoup losses made at the festival in 1971. The album was released in 1972 and contained tracks donated by the artists involved. Many of the tracks here have seen no other release. It should be stressed that only the Gong set is from the actual festival. The Brinsley Schwarz, Marc Bolan, Pete Townsend, David Bowie and Skin Alley tracks are studio tracks, the remainder are live - but from other venues.

The album didn't sell all that well at its original price (£3.99) and was later selling mail order from Virgin records (at that time mainly mail order with only a handful of retail stores) heavily discounted.

Disc 1:
Side 1
1. Grateful Dead - Dark Star
Side 2
1. Brinsley Schwarz - Love Song
2. Mighty Baby - A Blanket in my Muesli

Disc 2
Side 1
1. Marc Bolan - Sunken Rags
2. Pete Townshend - Classified
3. David Bowie - Supermen. This is very different from the track on 'Man Who Sold the World', and was included on the Ryko disk CD of'Hunky Dory' as a bonus track. However, the mix is different from this original. The lead guitar is double tracked and there is more echo on the vocals, so the vinyl version remains here.
4. Hawkwind - Silver Machine. Not the single
5. Skin Alley - Sun Music
Side 2
1. Daevid Allen and Gong - Glad stoned buried fielding... This is a remastered version released recently. It appears to be identical with the original.

Disc 3
Side 1
1. Pink Faries - Do It
2. Pink Faries - Uncle Harry's Last Freak Out. These are listed wrong way round on the booklet.
Side 2
1. Edgar Broughton Band - Out Demons Out.

This is ripped from my own vinyl copy. I have taken out some bad pops on a couple of tracks to make them listenable, but there are some pops and static remaining (not too bad, though - I did try to look after my records). Look on it as a bonus - this is how music used to sound to most of us!

Disc 1

Disc 2

Disc 3

3 comments:

  1. Hi there Smorodina.
    I've downloaded, your excellent post, and just you said in the readme file, I see the labels, and you agree are in poor resolution, I'm here asking you, when you have the time, if you can scan the labels in a good resolution, I'll be thankfull to you, and I'll buy you a beer when we have the oportunity, so it's now a long comment, I want to thank you for sharing your music with us, web walkers, I wish you all the best, and wait for your comment.
    Carlos Oliveira in sunny Portugal
    PS: see my page at:
    http://cdboots.viviti.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Password is iwantedtoseeangels.blogspot.com

    I will scan the various inserts when I get some time!!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete